Learning and Teaching News [Archived stories]
Success at Science, Engineering and Technology (SET) Awards 2010
Rebecca Barlow receives the BP award for SET Student of the Year from Peter Duff
Rebecca Barlow (BSc Pharmacology) has won the AstraZeneca Award for the Best Pharmacology Student and the BP Award for the Science Engineering & Technology student of the Year at the 2010 Awards. Rebecca won the award for her final year project work on Muscarinic Acetylcholine Receptor Regulation of the GABA-A Receptor Alpha4 Subunit Gene in SH-SY5Y Cells. Dr Alan Bateson, who supervised the project, was awarded Lecturer of the Year.
Rebecca’s win was announced at a ceremony attended by 450 students, academics, and business leaders in London’s Hilton Hotel, Park Lane. Entries were received from major universities in Europe, and judges paid tribute to the exception quality of this year’s work.
Dr Alan Bateson, who supervised the project, was awarded Lecturer of the Year.
Two students from FBS were shortlisted as finalists, which in itself is a great achievement . Congratulations also to Mona Saad (BSc Human Physiology) for her prestigious nomination in the Best Biology and Biotechnology student category.
The SET Awards are organised by The Leadership Forum and sponsored by Airbus, Anglo American, ARM Holdings, AstraZeneca, AWE, BCS, Bentley Motors, BP, Kraft, Laing O’Rourke, Lloyd's Register, Microsoft Research, Morgan Crucible and the National Physical Laboratory.
They are supported and judged by BCS The Chartered Institute for IT, The British Pharmacological Society, The Institute of Food Research, The Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology, The Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining, The Institute of Physics, The Institution of Chemical Engineers, The Institution of Civil Engineers, The Institution of Electrical Engineers, The Institution of Mathematics and its Applications, The Institution of Mechanical Engineers, The London Mathematical Society, and The Royal Aeronautical Society. Find out more …
17th September 2010
More Archived Stories
- Register for the Society of Biology careers conference at Leeds
- Congratulations to the Brownlees
- Sports Science graduate in Team GB 2012
- Virtual Labs launched
- Innovative research group to enhance student experience
- Wellcome Trust Award for Olympic-themed events
- Budding biological scientist visits Blair lab
- Double nomination at science 'Oscars'
- The heat is on for Leeds athlete
- Annual Year 12 Conference
- Leeds neuroscientist wins prize to take karaoke lecture on the road
- UK Centre for Bioscience Student Awards
- Student Choice Awards
- Leeds for Life Citizenship Award Winner
- Students take a bite out of e-learning with Apple iPad project
- Biology student in University Challenge team
- Leeds pioneer recognised
- Learning from the latest research
- PhD Showcase Success
- Physiological Society Teaching Prize
- Undergraduates discover more about the pharmaceutical industry
- Leeds ecologists snap up photo prizes
- Claire Windle: Wellcome Trust vacation studentship
- Budding writers win Festival of Science trip
- Leeds graduate takes European gold
- Students showcase findings at Postgraduate Symposium
- It’s official - Students love Biological Sciences
- University Tops the Table for International Student Satisfaction
- From bed bugs to bicycles
- BSCB Science Writing Prize
- Leeds undergraduates dominate National Entrepreneurship Final