Learning and Teaching News [Archived stories]
Students showcase findings at Postgraduate Symposium
Visitors discover our latest research at the postgraduate symposium
The annual Postgraduate Symposium showcases innovative research undertaken by postgraduate students in the Faculty of Biological Sciences.
The event was an opportunity for students to present their research findings to peers across the university and to find out common themes across their research.
The poster sessions were an opportunity for students to present their research and addressed different scientific themes including molecular and cellular biology, structural molecular biology, plant sciences, cardiovascular and sports science, genetics, ecology and evolution and integrative membrane biology.
Students from the second to final years also gave presentations of their work at the event, which was well attended by postgraduate students and academic staff from across the Faculty and the wider university community. Professor Jim Naismith from St Andrew’s University presented prizes to students for the best poster and the best presentation sessions at the close of the event.
Samantha Aspinall, Professional Development Coordinator, said: “The event is a fantastic opportunity for our postgraduate students to present their work to like-minded people from the scientific community. As well as highlighting the latest research findings in the Faculty it is a chance to share ideas and gave postgraduate students a forum to meet their peers and receive feedback on their research.”
The digital image competition, entered by staff and PhD students, was also judged at the event. The winning photos were taken by PhD student David Wrighton, and Lynne McKeown, Post Doctoral Fellow. All entries to the competition will be added to the Centre for Bioscience Image Bank.
The full programme is also available to download.
13th July 2010
More Archived Stories
- Register for the Society of Biology careers conference at Leeds
- Congratulations to the Brownlees
- Sports Science graduate in Team GB 2012
- Virtual Labs launched
- Innovative research group to enhance student experience
- Wellcome Trust Award for Olympic-themed events
- Budding biological scientist visits Blair lab
- Double nomination at science 'Oscars'
- The heat is on for Leeds athlete
- Annual Year 12 Conference
- Leeds neuroscientist wins prize to take karaoke lecture on the road
- Student Choice Awards
- UK Centre for Bioscience Student Awards
- Leeds for Life Citizenship Award Winner
- Students take a bite out of e-learning with Apple iPad project
- Biology student in University Challenge team
- Leeds pioneer recognised
- Learning from the latest research
- PhD Showcase Success
- Physiological Society Teaching Prize
- Undergraduates discover more about the pharmaceutical industry
- Leeds ecologists snap up photo prizes
- Success at Science, Engineering and Technology (SET) Awards 2010
- Claire Windle: Wellcome Trust vacation studentship
- Budding writers win Festival of Science trip
- Leeds graduate takes European gold
- It’s official - Students love Biological Sciences
- University Tops the Table for International Student Satisfaction
- From bed bugs to bicycles
- BSCB Science Writing Prize
- Leeds undergraduates dominate National Entrepreneurship Final