Student Education News
Success at Partnership Awards for MSc student
Masters student Liane Hobson was announced as one of the winners in the recent Partnership Awards held by Leeds University Union. The awards formed part of Celebrate Week, a celebration of the exceptional staff and students here at the University of Leeds.
Liane Hobson is a former BSc Biology student and is currently studying for a Masters in Biodiversity and Conservation. Following nominations from staff in the Faculty, Liane won the Participation Award at the ceremony on 25 April. This award recognises Liane for being consistently prepared to get involved and reliably contribute to learning at Leeds.
Liane says: "I've been working as a Taught Postgraduate School Rep since October. I've been working really closely with the staff and students to improve all the masters courses that the Faculty of Biological Sciences offers.. I feel everyone knows that this will massively improve what were already amazing courses and help students get the most out of their time at Leeds.
"My biggest allies throughout everything I've done have been the Graduate School office staff, who have continually gone above and beyond the call of duty to help however they can."
In addition to her studies in the Faculty of Biological Sciences, Liane was awarded a Leeds for Life Foundation grant to undertake conservation work in South Africa last summer.
4th May 2012
- Register for the Society of Biology careers conference at Leeds
- Congratulations to the Brownlees
- Sports Science graduate in Team GB 2012
- Virtual Labs launched
- Innovative research group to enhance student experience
- Wellcome Trust Award for Olympic-themed events
- Budding biological scientist visits Blair lab
- Double nomination at science 'Oscars'
- The heat is on for Leeds athlete
- Annual Year 12 Conference
- Leeds neuroscientist wins prize to take karaoke lecture on the road
- UK Centre for Bioscience Student Awards
- Student Choice Awards
- Leeds for Life Citizenship Award Winner
- Students take a bite out of e-learning with Apple iPad project
- Biology student in University Challenge team
- Leeds pioneer recognised
- Learning from the latest research
- PhD Showcase Success
- Physiological Society Teaching Prize
- Undergraduates discover more about the pharmaceutical industry
- Leeds ecologists snap up photo prizes
- Success at Science, Engineering and Technology (SET) Awards 2010
- Claire Windle: Wellcome Trust vacation studentship
- Budding writers win Festival of Science trip
- Leeds graduate takes European gold
- Students showcase findings at Postgraduate Symposium
- It’s official - Students love Biological Sciences
- University Tops the Table for International Student Satisfaction
- From bed bugs to bicycles
- BSCB Science Writing Prize
- Leeds undergraduates dominate National Entrepreneurship Final
Dr Dave Lewis, Senior Lecturer in Neuroscience and Scientific Ethics within the School of Biomedical Sciences has been awarded the Physiological Society's Otto Hutter Physiology Teaching Prize for 2013.
PhD student Sophie Schumann has been awarded the 'Young Microbiologist of the year 2013' more
Hollie Appleby has been recognised by the British Pharmacological Society for being a first class student more
Exercise scientists at the University of Leeds, are concerned TV viewers have been left with the message that exercise may never lead to weight loss and is therefore a waste of time. more
Over 600 students from the faculty graduated last week. more
Danielle Ormshaw, a Student intern working with Dr. Dave Lewis, has presented her experiences at a recent HEA Workshop. more
The Faculty of Biological Sciences has been hugely successful at the latest partnership Awards. more
A Faculty of Biological Sciences student was recently shortlisted in an access to understanding writing competition.
Katarzyna Makowska has been recognised by Europe PubMed Central and The British Library for her wider participation writing. more
Sport and Exercise Science Alumnus Alistair Brownlee has been recognised by the Queen for his Triathlon gold medal at the London Olympics more
Three of The Faculty of Biological Sciences academic staff have been awarded fellowships through the University's Student Education Fellowship scheme more
The Faculty of Biological Sciences had great success at the 3rd annual Postgraduate Research conference
Two students from the faculty have been named in the awards more
Dr. Lewis has been awarded one of the SRHE's Scoping Awards. more
Alistair has been named alongside the rest of Team GB's gold medal winners more
Former Student Peter Cheney has provided the University with a $4m donation. more
Dr. Alison Dunn, Andrew Blincow and Amy Hattersley have recently won 3rd Prize in the Hanson Heidelberg Quarry Life Award. more
The Society of Biology was recognised Pip Garner for her work on public engagement more
The Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology brings together over 250 researchers from across the University. more
Members of the GB triathlon squad have been acclimatising to the heat and humidity of Japan with the help of the Faculty's environment chamber. more
Dr Neil Morris has been awarded a National Teaching Fellowship for his contribution to learning and teaching. more
Travis Bacon and Ben Moore, both BSc Medical Sciences students, have been awarded Undergraduate Research and Leadership Scholarships. more
Dr Neil Morris from the Faculty of Biological Sciences has been awarded the Higher Education Teacher of the Year Award by the Society of Biology. more
Dr David Lewis has been awarded the Rang Teaching Prize. more
Professor John Altringham was recently featured on the BBC programme 'The Great British Countryside' with Hugh Dennis more
There are a number of elite athletes studying in the Faculty supported by the Sports Scholarship Programme more
Tom Benians and James Lloyd have been shortlisted to present their work in Parliament more
Three members of Faculty staff were recently awarded University Student Education Fellowships more
Scott Jackson won the Generon prize for 'Best Presentation' at the annual Bioenergetics conference more
Work is currently underway on brand new teaching laboratories for undergraduate students more
Two academics from the Faculty of Biological Sciences have been shortlisted for the
Bioscience HE Teacher of the Year award.
Lizzie Glennon won the 3-minute thesis category, and Nicole Timms was joint 3rd 'PGR Researcher of the Year' more