Biological Sciences Undergraduate School - Our courses
Studying the Biological Sciences is a preparation for tomorrow’s world. The Faculty will be your "home" within the University, whichever one of our degrees you choose. Watch our video to give you a taste of what it could be like to study here with us...
Here are just a few of the benefits of studying in the Faculty of Biological Sciences at Leeds:
• By choosing Leeds you will become part of a community of bioscientists who compete with the best institutions.
• You will benefit from our integrated style of learning and teaching. Our groundbreaking research feeds directly into teaching, so you will be taught by academics at the forefront of their subject. You will be able to engage with and contribute to current research yourself in your individual and group-based project work.
• Our MBiol courses have either been awarded interim or advanced accreditation by the Royal Society of Biology. This will help you to attain Chartered Biologist (CBiol) or Chartered Scientist status one year sooner than graduates from other degree.
• All our degree courses offer you the opportunity to study abroad or undertake a placement year.
• Our Integrated Masters degrees offer students the excellent breadth and depth of knowledge you would expect from a BSc degree plus the exceptional opportunity to experience the advanced, in-depth research of a Masters qualification.
• Excellent career prospects - 96% of our graduates are employed or in further study six months after graduation.
• The Faculty has a dedicated Employability Officer who works closely with the Careers Centre. We offer a host of additional opportunities beyond core course content, including volunteering and placement opportunities.
• We provide excellent student support, with our student education team located close to where you work and study, ensuring personalised and direct contact
We are 6th for Biological Sciences in UK (REF, 2014)
Our position among the UK elite for bioscience research was confirmed in the results of the recent Research Excellence Framework (REF), where we were ranked 6th in the country for research impact, with sport and exercise sciences ranked 1st for research rated ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’. Our extensive research expertise means the courses you can choose to study are at the forefront of knowledge and reflect the latest developments in the field.
- Top 20 in the UK for Biological Sciences (The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016)
- 3rd in the UK for Sports Science (The Guardian University Guide 2018)
- 7th in the UK for Sport Science (The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016)
- Leeds was voted one of the top 5 universities in the UK for student experience (Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2017)
- We are also in the top 5 most targeted universities by the UK’s top graduate employers according to the 2017 High Fliers report.
We work closely with our students – our Faculty has received a resounding endorsement from our students in the National Student Survey (NSS). A number of our degree courses have achieved 100% overall student satisfaction in recent years.
The University is one of the most targeted universities by the UK’s top graduate employers according to the 2017 High Fliers report.
Award-winning personal tutors
For the second year running the Faculty of Biological Sciences won the highest number of awards at the annual Partnership Awards (organised by the Students' Union). The awards recognise the dedication, hard work and support of our staff.
The University of Leeds is one of the most popular universities in the UK, with a longstanding reputation for both its teaching and research. We have over 30,000 students from around 130 countries, taking some 700 undergraduate and 474 postgraduate degree programmes.
At the forefront of innovation, we are acknowledged as a centre of excellence in many disciplines. We ensure that our research is used to benefit our students and we share our recent developments in our teachings.
We believe that the research-led education at Leeds gives our students the confidence and skills to go out into the world and make a difference, no matter what field they choose. Find out more
As a Leeds student you will be offered high-quality teaching and learning in an environment where many of the academic staff are leaders in their field. Our staff are excited about their subject and committed to sharing their passion with students, motivating them to develop to their full potential and become confident, independent thinkers.
Find out more about the University of Leeds