Student Education News
HEA National Teaching Fellowship
Dr. Morris receiving his national teaching fellowship
Dr Neil Morris, from the Faculty of Biological Sciences, has been awarded a National Teaching Fellowship in recognition of his contribution to learning and teaching within the University.
The Higher Education Academy (HEA) grants the Fellowships, which are the most prestigious awards for excellence in higher education teaching and support for learning, with successful nominees being judged on individual excellence, raising the profile of excellence and developing excellence.
Dr Morris’ current research interests are in educational technology and blending learning and at present he chairs the University of Leeds blended learning and technology innovation group. Neil is also the group leader for the University of Leeds Bioscience Education Research Group.
Former director of the Undergraduate School in Biological Sciences, he has led implementations of the virtual learning environment, student voting handsets, lecture audio recordings and generic video feedback within the faculty. Most recently, he published a study investigating the potential usefulness of tablet devices for enhancing undergraduate students’ learning opportunities.
Neil has already won a number of awards for teaching excellence, including the Society of Biology Bioscience Teacher of the Year award, the Otto Hutter Teaching award from the Physiological Society and the Most Innovative Teacher award in the Leeds University Union Student Choice awards.
Chief Executive of the HEA, Professor Craig Mahoney, said: ‘Students deserve – and expect – the best possible learning experience during their time in higher education, and fantastic staff, such as National Teaching Fellows, help to deliver this experience’.
30th July 2012
- Register for the Society of Biology careers conference at Leeds
- Congratulations to the Brownlees
- Sports Science graduate in Team GB 2012
- Virtual Labs launched
- Innovative research group to enhance student experience
- Wellcome Trust Award for Olympic-themed events
- Budding biological scientist visits Blair lab
- Double nomination at science 'Oscars'
- The heat is on for Leeds athlete
- Annual Year 12 Conference
- Leeds neuroscientist wins prize to take karaoke lecture on the road
- UK Centre for Bioscience Student Awards
- Student Choice Awards
- Leeds for Life Citizenship Award Winner
- Students take a bite out of e-learning with Apple iPad project
- Biology student in University Challenge team
- Leeds pioneer recognised
- Learning from the latest research
- PhD Showcase Success
- Physiological Society Teaching Prize
- Undergraduates discover more about the pharmaceutical industry
- Leeds ecologists snap up photo prizes
- Success at Science, Engineering and Technology (SET) Awards 2010
- Claire Windle: Wellcome Trust vacation studentship
- Budding writers win Festival of Science trip
- Leeds graduate takes European gold
- Students showcase findings at Postgraduate Symposium
- It’s official - Students love Biological Sciences
- University Tops the Table for International Student Satisfaction
- From bed bugs to bicycles
- BSCB Science Writing Prize
- Leeds undergraduates dominate National Entrepreneurship Final
Danielle Ormshaw, a Student intern working with Dr. Dave Lewis, has presented her experiences at a recent HEA Workshop. more
The Faculty of Biological Sciences has been hugely successful at the latest partnership Awards. more
A Faculty of Biological Sciences student was recently shortlisted in an access to understanding writing competition.
Katarzyna Makowska has been recognised by Europe PubMed Central and The British Library for her wider participation writing. more
Sport and Exercise Science Alumnus Alistair Brownlee has been recognised by the Queen for his Triathlon gold medal at the London Olympics more
Three of The Faculty of Biological Sciences academic staff have been awarded fellowships through the University's Student Education Fellowship scheme more
The Faculty of Biological Sciences had great success at the 3rd annual Postgraduate Research conference
Two students from the faculty have been named in the awards more
Dr. Lewis has been awarded one of the SRHE's Scoping Awards. more
Alistair has been named alongside the rest of Team GB's gold medal winners more
Former Student Peter Cheney has provided the University with a $4m donation. more
Dr. Alison Dunn, Andrew Blincow and Amy Hattersley have recently won 3rd Prize in the Hanson Heidelberg Quarry Life Award. more
The Society of Biology was recognised Pip Garner for her work on public engagement more
Members of the GB triathlon squad have been acclimatising to the heat and humidity of Japan with the help of the Faculty's environment chamber. more
Over 600 students graduated from Biological Sciences last week and embark upon a new chapter in their lives. more
Travis Bacon and Ben Moore, both BSc Medical Sciences students, have been awarded Undergraduate Research and Leadership Scholarships. more
Liane Hobson won Leeds University Union's Participation Award at the recent Partnership Awards ceremony more
Dr Neil Morris from the Faculty of Biological Sciences has been awarded the Higher Education Teacher of the Year Award by the Society of Biology. more
Dr David Lewis has been awarded the Rang Teaching Prize. more
Professor John Altringham was recently featured on the BBC programme 'The Great British Countryside' with Hugh Dennis more
There are a number of elite athletes studying in the Faculty supported by the Sports Scholarship Programme more
Tom Benians and James Lloyd have been shortlisted to present their work in Parliament more
Three members of Faculty staff were recently awarded University Student Education Fellowships more
Scott Jackson won the Generon prize for 'Best Presentation' at the annual Bioenergetics conference more
Work is currently underway on brand new teaching laboratories for undergraduate students more
Two academics from the Faculty of Biological Sciences have been shortlisted for the
Bioscience HE Teacher of the Year award.
Lizzie Glennon won the 3-minute thesis category, and Nicole Timms was joint 3rd 'PGR Researcher of the Year' more